Monday, November 30, 2015

Bartelby Prequel

Our end- of- book/ short story assignment was to write a prequel to the Herman Melville short story: Bartelby the Scrivener, A Story of Wall Street.


Here is the Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6639394cfpvivyv/Bartelby%20the%20Scrivener%20Prequel.docx?dl=0

But, I personally HATE leaving sites to follow links to new sites, soo:

Here is the text:

Bartelby the Scrivener

A Story before Wall Street


 “I would prefer not to” elaborate on my own life. It seems so shortcoming and tedious. The same old things, the same work, the same family, or rather lack thereof, the same business and house in New York. The same lack of family, of romance, of anything in the world happy and good. I am not a very interesting person to be around, a simple business owner.  

“You see, I am a rather elderly man. The nature of my avocations for the last thirty years has brought me into more than ordinary contact with what would seem an interesting and somewhat singular set of men, of whom as yet nothing that I know of has ever been written:—I mean the law-copyists or scriveners.” *

I have the time, now that I have sold the Dead Letter Office, to tell about Bartleby, one of the most famous scriveners I knew, who is dead, to recount the stories of his life told to me before he arrived at No. - Wall Street in search of immediate employment. As we know from the original story, put down by my dear friend, a New York City attorney.

Before he became the classic reminder of passive resistance, he was just another scrivener at my old company, the Dead Letter office. Bartleby was a soft- spoken, reticent man, strong and silent, or, at least silent. No one really knew who he was or where he had come from, or why he was here. Many people speculated that he was idiosyncratic.

Bartleby was the type that did amazing work, kept to himself, and, when the day ended, he went straight home. He never chatted, or really let anyone get to know him. No wonder people thought he was a bit touched. He may have been anti-social, and the people who worked with him would have gone farther than that.

Employees of the Office and Clients both thought that Bartleby may have been a criminal in his past life. The type that kept to himself, spoke to next to no one, spent time staring at documents before he copied them, and then copied them wicked fast. “He’s stealing information from the documents!” Many people said “He was a thief, cutlass, and outlaw!” said others.

I have no idea how long this behavior went on. I know not when it began. I wonder, sometimes, that Bartleby stood it, that he did not leave the Dead Letter Office when people began to ruminate on his identity.

I do know that Bartleby was the last person one would ever suspect to be a tortured charlatan, or an accomplished artisan, or anything else memorable in the world. He was, in fact, one of our worlds ‘invisibles.’ He often went unnoticed, unneeded. He was one that everyone seemed to take advantage of. The type everyone seemed to encroach and overlook… until they were in need of his services. I suspected that he had a tortured and acrimonious past, but not as romantic as his story, as told to me, tended to place him.


“Bartleby must be strong spirited.” I thought to myself one morning. Turns out, he was stronger than I realized.  

The next day, Bartleby came into the office and asked to speak to me. I of course received him with an open door and an easy grace. “Mr. Whence.” he said “Why, yes Bartleby.” “I must tell you something, Mr. Whence. There has been a word going around that some people have been speculating upon my past existence.” “Well, only naturally, Bartleby, you never did bother to tell us anything about yourself.” “I know, Mr. Whence. I would like to tell you about my past, about my origins and history.” He started. I sat down, knowing that this would be a lengthy appointment.

“I was born Jonathan Bartleby the Fourth in an area of Massachusetts called Boston. My mother was Elizabeth Bartleby and my father was Jonathan Bartleby the Third. We were a wealthy Boston family. I was born with a 100- dollar bill practically hanging out of my mouth. My servants taught me well in areas of decorum and academics, although I never would have been expected to use the skills, as the expected life for me would be a frivolous, meaningless thing, watching people do my work. My family had plantations in the South, where most of our profit originated. My father and his brother handled financial issues in the North, while my Uncles handled oversight of the plantation and their wives oversaw the house.

My childhood was the best a child could hope for. I studied Music and Art along with Mathematics, Sciences, and the Classics. I was able to read great books of the philosophies and the geography of the world. I read all the great minds, thoughts of Liberty, Freedom, and Tolerance. I played with my brothers, James and David, and our servants always entertained us with toys, games, and even books. .

The servants always did exactly as they were told. You would tell them to do something, and they would respond: ‘I would always prefer to serve you.’ It was quite the blessing. I sincerely enjoyed my childhood. It was the best a child could ask for.

Then, one day, a young woman showed up looking for a job. Our old maid had just left, and my mother, a great and upstanding lady of society, was hopeless in matters of the kitchen and household. Due to this circumstance, as well of our financial good fortune, my father simply kept our large house and grounds manicured by the employment of several hundred servants, plus some to run the accounts with him. He had sent out a message of immediate employment and good work, fair pay, for a new caretaker. 

I walked up and opened the door ‘Hello, Welcome to our grand estate.’ I said as I ushered her in. ‘Thank you.’ she responded. She had long, chestnut hair and gray eyes. In my assessment, she was very charming. She walked straight to the Parlor, where my father was sitting, attending to one of the accounts.

‘I am looking for Mr. Jonathan Bartleby the Third. I believe he is the master of this household?’ She said as she stood at the Parlor door ‘I have seen his invitation for a new caretaker and would like the job.’ ‘I am Jonathan Bartleby the Third.’ my father said, standing up ‘And I have seen several new caretakers, none quite adequate for a great house like ours. I hope you will fill our utmost expectations. Can you cook well and assist the kitchens?’ ‘Yes sir.’ she said ‘Can you clean and oversee the chambermaids?’ ‘Yes sir.’ ‘Can you oversee the gardens and grounds adequately?’ ‘Yes sir.’ ‘What is your name?’ ‘Sara Bennet.’ ‘Well, Miss. Bennet, you shall have a trial day, overseeing the grounds and house, and depending upon your performance, you shall have a job or not.’ ‘Thank you Sir.’ ‘You are dismissed.’

‘Jonathan.’ My father called me ‘Come here to the Parlor my dear son.’ My father seldom spoke to me, and this came as a surprise. ‘Yes Father.’ I rushed to the Parlor, and stood near to the fireplace, the designated spot for our conversations. ‘It is time you are educated in the Politics of our nation.’ ‘Yes Father’ ‘Jonathan, do you even know the current president?’ ‘Yes, Father, President Andrew Jackson.’ ‘Wrong! You are wrong, young sir! Martin Van Buren is the President of these United States. Don’t you pay attention in life? Do you even know who gets the vote?’ ‘Everyone Father.’ ‘No! Only white men. I vote, your mother does not, the slaves on your Uncle’s plantation do not. I will have the governess know that you are lacking in the skills necessary to our social liberties and have her thoroughly educate you in them.’ ‘I have no governess, I have a tutor.’ I said with a haughty smirk ‘You are dismissed.’ He said, seriously.

After that conversation, I spent the rest of the day learning about the President, the Governor, the Senate and House, and the policies and laws of the nation. It was quite boring, yet, exceptionally educational. I was fifteen years old. I studied these things, and wished to become a lawyer, although my fate would spin me other places.

The caretaker, Sara Bennet, was employed by my father. She did quite an excellent job, and, as I got to know her, I slowly realized that I was in love. She told me her story, where she had come from, how her family had been rich, but that her father lost everything in the Panic of 1819, before we were even born. She slowly fell in love with me, and we resolved to ask my parents if I could marry her. I was eighteen years old, and she was twenty. We hoped that my parents would allow it, but they were classicists and would not allow such a marriage.

We resolved to run away together. We planned for almost a year, when she was dismissed from our household. We ran that night, and my father disinherited me. I was to come in to tens of thousands of dollars. Now, except for our small savings and what we had taken from my father’s house, we had nothing. Sara had a friend who let us stay at her apartment until she found a job as a caretaker and I as a Scrivener. We had no luck in Boston, everyone knowing who we were, so we decided to run away. I got a job at the Dead Letter Office and she at the couturier. That brings us to this conversation. I am reserved because I have always been so.”  He finished this lengthy dialogue and looked at me expectantly.

“Bartleby.” I said “This is all very touching and quite romantic, but the truth is that it frankly doesn’t relate to the work we do here.” “Mr. Whence, she is deceased as of yesterday.” “My deepest apologies, Bartleby, however, you are dismissed.” He walked out of my office and I signed the papers that sold away the Dead Letter Office.

We all know what happened next. Bartleby lost the Dead Letter Office job, and he went to work as a copyist elsewhere. He refused to do work, instead mourning for his deceased wife. He refused to eat, preferring to starve and join his wife on the other side of this life.

What no one knows is what happened in between the Dead Letter Office and the Law Office. We can guess that he looked for employment and grieved for about a week (The Lawyer and I compared dates.)

If I knew Bartleby the way I think I knew Bartleby, he would have felt right at home with the solitude of grief. He was the type of man who I could imagine would be sad, yet still, very much in love with his deceased wife.

Bartleby was a man of character and one that some will only see the bad side of. I put this all down to let the world see his true identity and his motivations and history. In truth, all people should love Bartleby. He was just a man in love. And, normally, any man in love is a hero. The story of Bartleby is one of forbidden love, hope, and faith.

This interpretation may seem like that of a romantic. I can swear to you that I am not a romantic. I have never fallen in love, and, now that I am in my old age, I can only think that “I would prefer not to.” The age of romantics has passed me by and left me behind, and I can think only the better of it. Romanticism would cause my heart to break many times over.

I am not a romantic, no matter what they say. I simply understand the world as it becomes more and more difficult to comprehend.

*- Taken from Herman Melville’s Bartleby the Scrivener, a Story of Wall Street, 1853


No comments:

Post a Comment